New options available for spousal employment, license renewal | Item

WASHINGTON – The Department of Labor recently launched a website to help spouses of military personnel who have a professional license and need to transfer their credentials to another state.

Through the website, military spouses can view each state’s law regarding specific licensed occupations, said Kristopher Rick, assigned to DOL’s Veterans Employment and Training Services.

Spouses can then arm themselves with information about a state’s licensing portability laws, Rick said Tuesday at a family forum at the annual meeting and exhibition of the Association of the US Army.

In 2019 alone, 13 states made legislative changes to support spouses of military personnel with degrees. Through the website, spouses can easily navigate an interactive map of the country and receive a brief summary of each legislation.

The website also offers a “CareerOneStop License Search”, providing users with the ability to access information about a state’s licensure board. In addition, spouses can review the requirements necessary to transfer their license to that state, he added.

“Most important, [the site] provides a point of contact, ”said Rick. “Spouses can now build a roadmap for how to get involved… when preparing to move [a new] site.”

Army Emergency Relief will also provide an interest-free grant or loan to reimburse spouses up to an additional $ 2,000 for license renewal fees when they move to a new state, said Krista Simpson Anderson, Army Military Spouse Ambassador. Emergency Relief. This assistance can go up to $ 2,500 because the spouse is waiting for the reimbursement of $ 500 from the military. The $ 2,000 will take the form of a grant, which does not have to be repaid, or an interest-free loan, depending on the family’s financial situation.

The spousal license renewal support is a needs-based program and not designed to reimburse military families, she said. Spouses of the Regular Army, National Guard and Reserve may receive assistance up to 180 days after moving to a new duty station.

The intention of the program is “to relieve distress, promote the resilience and overall financial readiness of military families,” Anderson added.

Spouses with professional licenses who are expected to relocate should consult the “Military Spouse Licensing Resource Guide,” said Rick. Users can find a downloadable version of the guide on the website, or click on the related link below.


Spouses looking to begin a career search or are in the process of moving to a new area can turn to Military One Source for assistance.

The Military One Source site provides a comprehensive suite of professional resources for developing, refining and showcasing the unique skills of a military spouse, said Lee Kelley, director of military community support programs for Military One Source.

For example, spouses have access to a “certified master’s level career coach,” available Monday through Friday, 7:00 am to 10:00 pm EST, and Saturday all day. Spouses can access this resource by phone or online through live chat.

“It’s important to know that career support, resume support and mock interview sessions are available when spouses are available,” Kelley said.

Starting in November, spouses will have access to a 90-second career assessment tool that will provide insight into their professional strengths, she said. This is just one example of how Military One Source is evolving to meet the emerging needs of military families.

“My message to military spouses at any stage of their careers… I would recommend either going into their base family center or picking up the phone and calling Military One Source,” Kelley said.

“With the thousands of resources available, it’s hard to know where to start,” she added. Start with us – your [Department of Defense] resource family.

Spouses also have access to more than 400 companies and organizations engaged in the recruitment, hiring, promotion and retention of personnel through the Defense Ministry’s Military Spouse Employment Partnership, he said. she adds. So far, MSEP partners have hired nearly 140,000 military wives since the program began.

“I challenge [spouses] to put Military One Source’s phone number in their phone right now — 1-800-342-9647, ”she said. “You may not need it today, but you will have it for yourself and the rest of the military family.”


Spouses seeking careers in child care – or looking to keep their jobs while raising their children at home – may consider a home child care profession, said responsible.

Home child care providers run their own businesses, while providing quality and affordable child care to other military families, said Suzanne King, of Services’ family child care program. to the infancy and youth of the Army Installation Management Command.

Family members of military personnel, retirees, and qualified civilians living in accommodations on the post may apply to become an FCC provider. Home inspections and background checks are required for anyone living in the home over 12, she said.

If accepted into the program, CYS will provide training and support. Providers will complete an 18-month training program, which includes CPR, first aid, child abuse reporting, and other training on child development or special needs.

“After the training, CYS specialists will continue to support the FCCs,” she said. “Providers could have access to supplies, equipment to start their home child care. They are eligible for coverage under the Army’s Risk Management Program and may receive referrals. via the Military Child Care website. “

Related links:

A military source

Army emergency relief

Army News Service Families

Department of Labor – Military Spouse Site

Military Spouse License Recognition Resource Guide

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.