USDA Provides Disaster Assistance to Nebraska Farmers and Ranchers

The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) provides technical and financial assistance to help Nebraska farmers and ranchers recover from damage caused by winter storms Uri and Viola. Farmers are encouraged to contact their local USDA service center to learn more about programs available to help them recover from losses in crops, land, infrastructure, and livestock.

“The extreme cold and recent winter conditions have been a challenge for farmers and ranchers in Nebraska,” said Timothy Divis, interim executive director of USDA’s Agricultural Services Agency (FSA) in Nebraska. “We know that some producers have suffered losses or other impacts. The USDA offers disaster assistance programs that may be able to help.

Disaster assistance

USDA encourages farmers and ranchers to contact the FSA county office at the local USDA service center to apply for eligible programs and to find out what documents, such as farm records, herd inventory, receipts and photos of damage or loss should be provided to help expedite assistance. .

Producers whose livestock have died due to winter storms may be eligible for the Livestock Compensation Program. Meanwhile, the Livestock, Bees and Farmed Fish Emergency Aid program provides eligible producers with compensation for losses in fodder and pasture. For LIP and ELAP, producers will be required to file a notice of livestock loss and additional feed costs or feed losses within 30 days and bee losses within 15 days.

Additionally, eligible orchards and nurserymen may be eligible for cost-shared assistance through the Tree Assistance Program (TAP) to replant or rehabilitate eligible trees, shrubs or vines lost during winter storms. This complements the Uninsured Agricultural Disaster Assistance Program (NAP) or crop insurance coverage, which covers the crop but not the plants or trees in all cases. For TAP, a program request must be submitted within 90 days.

FSA also offers a variety of direct and guaranteed loans, including operational and emergency loans, to producers unable to obtain commercial financing. Producers in counties with a primary or contiguous disaster designation may be eligible for low-interest emergency loans to help them recover from production and physical losses. Loans can help producers replace essential goods, buy inputs such as livestock, equipment, feed and seeds, cover family living costs, or refinance farm and farm debts. other needs.

Risk management

Growers who receive risk protection through federal crop insurance or FSA’s NAP should report crop damage to their crop insurance agent or the FSA office. If they have crop insurance, growers must report crop damage to their agent within 72 hours of discovery of the damage and follow up in writing within 15 days. For crops covered by PAN, a Notice of Loss (CCC-576) must be filed within 15 days of discovery of the loss, except for perishable crops, which must be reported within 72 hours.

“Crop insurance and other USDA risk management options are here to help growers manage risk because we never know what nature has in store for the future,” Collin said. Olsen, director of the RMA regional office that covers Nebraska. “Licensed insurers, adjusters and agents are experienced and well trained to handle these types of events. “


The Emergency Conservation Program and the Emergency Forest Restoration Program can assist landowners and forest stewards by providing them with financial and technical assistance to restore damaged farmland or forests.

More information

On, the Disaster Assistance Discovery Tool, Disaster at-a-Glance Factsheet, and Farm Loan Discovery Tool can help producers and homeowners land tenure to determine program or loan options. For assistance with a crop insurance claim, growers and landowners should contact their crop insurance agent. For FSA and NRCS programs, they should contact their local USDA service center.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.